History of our School
The Waikerie High School as it stands today was officially opened at 11:00am on February the 21st 1945 by the then Premier of South Australia Mr Thomas Playford accompanied by Hon R J Rudall (Minister of Lands).
The Headmaster, Mr Goldsworthy gave his introductory comments to approximately 50 parents and the 60 assembled students.
This was followed by a welcome to the Premier and party as given by the Chairman of the W.D.C, Cr J H Strangman.
The school was then declared open by the Premier and was supported by R J Rundall.
A vote of thanks was moved by Mr T C Scott MP and seconded by Mr L M Andrew.
After the National Anthem visitors were allowed to inspect the school and at 12:30pm the school was closed for the day to observe a half day holiday as granted by the Premier.
In its first year the school consisted of:
- J G Goldsworthy
- C W Thorpe
- Miss P Aughey
- M N Kroehne (JT)